Thursday, August 7, 2008

Brains or Boobs?


I've been pondering the idea of identity lately. So many of us are labelled early in life: "smart girl", "pretty girl", ""shy girl". I must admit that I have been considered all of these. I don't know that this is such a good thing. For the most part, being so narrowly defined can be likened to an actor being typecast; It is has a limiting effect. What if I had simply accepted being "the pretty one" in my pre-teens? Would I now be a shallow, brainless Betty? I suppose what I'm getting at is that I am a multifaceted human being with the capability of dawning many distinct traits. I cannot be summarized by a single word or phrase.

I have heard that researchers found a correlation between breast size and academic performance. Supposedly, more bountifully-boobed ladies tend to have lower grades. If there is any merit to these findings, I would argue that these women too readily allowed themselves to be defined by their physical appearance.

I for one refuse to settle for just one identity. I can be glamorous and/or a tomboy and/or have a wild side and/or be the girl next door. I can be all these things (unfortunately, I will probably never be bountifully-boobed). Why should I limit myself?

No comments: