Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Worldly Woman

After years of feeling shackled by the constraints of an intense religion and a marriage I was not ready for, I'm relishing my freedom. The best way to describe my current state of mind is that I want to take a huge, cheek-bursting bite out of life. Most of all, I want to see the world. I want to see the usual places like France, Spain, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, etc. But I also want to see the darker side: Rwanda, Columbia, Afghanistan (not just yet, since I value my life). For some mysterious reason, I feel the need to connect with the suffering of the world's oppressed. Perhaps seeing the haunting faces of countless genocide victims at the Kigali Memorial Center will force me to realize my own insignificance. I hope so. Sorry if this sounds morbid, I'm just trying to articulate my desire to see the world for what it really is - beautiful, dark, dangerous, exciting, and ever-changing. I consider this time and this age (23 and counting) the spring-board for the rest of my life.

No comments: