Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Figments of Cyberspace

I was recently weeding out my email contact list for the first time in several years. I was shocked at how many quasi-friends (if one could even call them that) I have accumulated. Close friend or mere aquiantance, so many of the names struck an emotional chord. I found myself reluctant to press the delete button even though I knew I would never contact these people again. Whatever happened to ziggpop66 or diamondpoet or perfectloves? They represent a part of my life that must stay in the past, but somehow I can't erase them from my list ... or my memory.

Most of these people are on my Facebook so I can creep through their albums and post them a message any time I wish. But somehow, seeing their names (or cheesy email names) on my personal contact list reminds me that I once had real contact with these people. They're not just a figment of cyberspace. For the most part, I don't want to see their vacation pictures from last summer or their new baby photos; I want to see them as they were when I knew them - the totality of their existence summarized by still images packaged neatly in my memory and visited rarely. If I delete their names, how will I remember to think of them?

No comments: